Monday, April 07, 2008

BEC at my place

Today left work a lil earlier than ussual being a Monday as we invited over our BEC (Basic Eclesial Community) friends over to our home for their monthly get together.

BEC is actually a area zone group, built up of Catholics from my housing area. Around 20 aunties and uncles came over and had kinda like a pot luck thingy. We supplied the pork puffs.

Mom and dad invited over Ruby for the gathering and coincidently Ruby knew of this place in town off Campbell street selling the mentioned puffs. Initially it was kinda difficult finding the place because so many shops but we successfully spotted the shop called De Tai Tong.

It sells pork puffs and also dim sum at night. Not a bad place to hang out as lots of chairs and tables and not so crowded as other dim sum outlets. Parking is also easy and if you come after 5 pm it was free.

Besides the pork puffs, there was like chicken curry, sandwiches, rojak and not forgetting being typical Pulau Tikus people in this new era, they had to get a cake from Jenny's. Jenny's is next to Bandar Baru (The old Plus Zone). Nice cakes and really cheap. Although I do not know what is the bakers obsession is with the lower mush-mallow layer in most of the cakes.

My parents and the committee had a good time. Ruby and I watched the Travel and Living channel as kinda felt out of place. Haha!

Primarily what was supposed to be a religious meeting which did happen, ended up in discussion on politics, approval to get permission to extend house from the city council etc. It was a venue to catch up on what's going on in their lives. Almost all are retired and enjoying their golden years.

One aunty came up to me and said " Boy, can you give me your mom phone number". She explained to me that if the pork man rides by her place, she will call my mom to alert her that the next stop will be my house.

It is amazing that such simple and thoughful gestures like this still exists in the busy world we live in. I really admire that.

I also told the aunties to come by more often as my mom most of the time is at home so good to hang out at home and catch up. To be honest with you, I do not know what do these aunties talk about but there is substance in their conversations and they take time to explain.

9.47 pm, sent Ruby home as both of us were tired being a long day at work with the pressure of closing cases but a great relaxing evening in front of the telly!