Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Time is certainly ticking... faster than you can imagine!


I was surfing cnn.com/living today and stumbled upon this article:


It is certainly interesting on how the author narates how time has passed and what she has been through in the past 20 odd years. Although, most of it indeed are very feminine experiences, she writes, but it also tells of how time was like back then; the technology, food industry standards, social life, pass times.

It also brings back my memories of the past where a mobile phone was an item of luxury and I would be dieing to have one. I remmember walking around shopping complexes with pride in holding my aunt's gigantic Motorola flip phone. As time has gone by, throughout my experience of being a cell phone user, I have had a new mobile phone on average once every year since 2000 and it is now a mere need than a want. Or the years when the Volvo 240 was the ultimate executive car to own, with safety and power as a feature. Power at 8 valves in todays motoring standards? Yeah right.

Somehow I can imagine how the writer feels today after being through so much. Deffinitely the phrase "Older but wiser" can be applied in this context. Life is indeed a learning experience. We continue to learn new things everyday contiously or uncontiously. With information greatly multiplying so does our knowledge and we grow with times and deal with change.

I am sure she faced many struggles in her career and social life. She has probably learned from such painful lessons that have made her stronger in getting through the toughest moments of life. People like her would be the right people for the younger generation to consult during trying times. The environment we live in may have changed but with the right attitude and will-power within each of us, we can lessen or even eliminate the suffering.

The oldest real-life lesson that I have learnt was from my grandparents days when they worked hard and did not have much to boast about. Today, it can be attributed that because of their hardship, I am the generation that is inheriting the comforts and happiness that they had worked hard for but did not live long enough to see and enjoy. God bless their souls.

I will probably be like the author one day, reminiscing on the past and my early years like through looking back at the posts of my blog. A lot of good and bad has happened throughout my life that has only made me a better person. Life should not be lived with regrets but with optimism to what lies ahead. As much as we are enjoying our current moments, things change and so should we although it is really hard to accept this reality.

As I write this, I remembered the fridge magnet on my uncle's fridge that I stumbled upon only last week. It says "Let us grow old together, as the best years are yet to come".