Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sleep more to feel healthy and happy!

When we were babies, we used to sleep a lot. In fact, our parents and grandparents ensured we slept well during our early years of our lives when our body adapts to the world, outside of the womb of the mother and to ensure the healthy growth of our body and organs. We would be put to sleep right after we had been nourished with milk. I still remmeber KLIM milk powder back then in my early years! :)
As I grew older, my sleeping hours has become less due to my activeness. I noticed this during my school days when there was tuition to attend and homework to complete. Then in university because of the Internet and the wonders of downloading and watching tv series and going out with friends up to the wee hours of the morning, time spent sleeping was less.
Now with work, I have to constantly keep myself abreath with the growth in IT and international economics so I spend a lot of time on the computer. Also with work during the day, it leaves me only with the nights to do my laundry, iron my clothes and wash my car. I wonder what will happen when I have kids someday? :S I may be so busy till my sleeping hours will be even more less!
However, despite my hectic lifestyle, time management is now totally super important to me. There are so many things to juggle but what I have learnt is to prioritize. I may not be satisfied that I could not get to wash my car on a particular day because of other chores like laundry but instead wash the car on another day. I know I may sound so rigid and up-tight but this is what I need to do to ensure smooth "operations" of my life.
The same goes for my sleep, I need to ensure that I have sufficient sleep and rest before starting a brand new day. I used to sleep at crazy hours of the morning on a work day. Now, with my timetable, I have enough rest to begin a great morning and day at the office. It may be long hours at the office but I will not feel tired because I have rejunevated the night before with sufficient sleep. I also feel, sleep plays an important role in influencing our mood for the next day.
Ruby and my mom have also been telling me to ensure I have enough rest and sleep so this was a form of encouragement for me to prioritize on my sleep. At first I was wondering how can I achieve sufficient amount of sleep. Then, after some minor planning to my lifestyle, I have that time now. I trully feel happier and healthier.
These days with the change of weather, I have been falling ill often. Who hasn't this year? If you haven't, your lucky! This was when I realized how important sleep was to heal the body. I mean you cannot avoid consuming medicine but with the sufficient rest and sleep helps to heal your body. For example, taking two Panadols and sleeping it off when your sick. The next morning when you wake up if your lucky, the illness may have gone away or have been less intensed.
This is what I have discovered and I felt I should share this with all of you. Less sleep is something we are all experiencing these days and we should do something about it as there are lots of bennefits from sufficient sleep.
Catching up on sleep over the weekend honestly never helps and wastes your good weekend for sleeping rather than getting out there and having fun! Sleep more people! :)