Sunday, December 06, 2009

Giving back for Christmas at the Penang Eurassian Association

(Photo courtesy of Santa Roger)

The Penang Eurassian Association has been organizing Christmas parties every year for as long as I can remmember.
Since my family and I moved to Penang from Kedah in the late 1980s, my parents have taken me and my sister every year. It was a very important and special time in my early years as a kid, celebrating Christmas and also getting to know more of the Eurassians of Penang.
There were so many Eurassian families there from all over Penang. Sadly this quantity has dwindled as many have migrated domestically and internationally. A lot of the younger generations are in KL.
Each kid (under 12 yrs), gets a bag of snacks and a toy from Santa Clause at the closing of the even when Santa makes his appearance.
There will be those crazy kiddy games where all the kids will take part. It was loads of fun at that time. I rememmember coming back home sweating and tired after those parties. Sadly, I do not have any photos as memories of those times.
I almost became one of Santa's helpers once but turned down the offer coz too chicken out! Haha!
This year 2009, it came to my understanding that there was a shortage of sponsors for invited orphans from the Salvation Army in Penang. The organziers were very understanding in the sense that it will be fair to call all the kids under 12 yrs old rather than inviting a few. However, it would be costly for them so they were looking for sponsors to sponsor the kids.
As I read the notification on Facebook that they were inneed of sponsors, it suddenly struck me. After all these years of having a good time as a kid at the Penang Eurassian Association for Christmas, it was time to share the moment with the younger generation especially the kids from the Salvation Army who were less fortunate.
I called my aunt who is one of the organizers and told her to put me down for 4 kids. She said that was all they needed coincidently to complete the sponsorship and invitation list for the kids. I was so happy. It felt like it was so meant to be.
I am happy for doing my small part and hope whoever these kids are have fun.
I declined to attend the event and preferred to keep a low profile. :P
The reason I am blogging about this is to remmember those good times as a kid. :)