Saturday, October 25, 2008

No stopping from visiting Penang!

Check this article out from The Star Online:
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/10/25/nation/2371947&sec=nation

I could not disagree with them at all! Penang is indeed much more unique compared to other states in Malaysia in terms of tourist attractions, culture, food, shopping and loads more.

People would do anything just to come here. Such obstacles like the rain and traffic jams is not going to stop them from visiting majestic Penang. People from "abroad" like KL live in such horrible conditions; traffic jams, packed commuter trains, expensive but lousy food. I have nothing nice to say about living in KL permanently.

Penang on the other hand has so much more value to offer that despite all the chaos and rush to come to Penang, people are willing to for go them and come back time and time again.

As a Penangite, I am trully proud of what I have here in Penang. It just never gets sick. Seriously! There is always something new happening to do. Also there are events that are organized by the various societies and organizations here with the green light and support from our state government led by YB Lim Guan Eng. His a great Chief Minister is so real!

Arts, history and culture fusion here is so rich and ever growing as old meets new. I just love the performances at Actor's Studio, Green Hall. I could call them a representation of Penang art and theater as the organizers and actors are mostly of Penang breed. It goes to show how great Penang people! The monthly Little Penang held at Upper Penang Road also attracts a large number of tourist and locals to bask in the rich herritage and culture of Penang. From the things sold to the events held, I find to be authentic Penang!

I guess despite the rain and whatever external factors that are probably a hinderance to coming to Penang, one thing that attracts people here is that Penang feeling. I feel it's the Penangites that create this feeling of warmth and no barriers amongst people. Everyone gets along with anyone be it locals or tourist, rich or poor. Nothing can stop you from flashing a smile at someone. The races here (Malays, Chinese, Indians, Seranis etc) are more integrated. People mix openly. Also, Malay food stalls that sell halal food can co-exist together with non-halal food stalls. Their motto is everyone also wanna cari- makan (find money to source food). This is also far smarter and intelligent in tackling competition than oppening another Malay stall in a row of 10 Malay stall that are selling the same thing if you know where I am coming from.

This is one way for cross-culture to be bred and form a truely Penang culture. We are the example of the Malaysian dream(depicted from the American dream) of being trully Malaysian; united as one culture, living harmoniously.

I can't deny that my post here depicts me as gloating over Penang. What can I say? I am trully all about Penang! Haha!