Wednesday, November 19, 2008

In the spirit of the game!


I was watching the tennis match last night; Showdown of the Champions. Indeed they were champions. I am not much of a tennis person myself but it was the spirit of the game that intrigued me to watch it.

The younger players are obviously in their prime years with more agility and stamina. But the older ones were not very far off themselves. Deffinitely age is a factor and people's reflexes tend to be a little slower. However, I could see all of them giving their best shot. It could be because of their spirit and passion for the game regardless of whose winning.

It is very hard to see such scenarios like this in Malaysia. We are too busy worrying about getting Rm 1 million, Datukship or a free Proton Perdana from EON. This was also evident that our Malaysian culture is very much different as during the games last night, spectators were shouting like some 'sepak takraw' match. If you see tennis matches held overseas, the ambience is strictly silent. There was a moment when John McEnroe paused and looked behind him as to where the shout came from.

I was watching the match with my father on the telly. Both my parents are die-hard tennis fans! He was really excited and had fun watching. I guess, he saw the older players in his time when they were younger and when they were like the no. 1’s we see today. It surely brings back memories of the heroes from yesterday.

It also struck me that we are all getting older or changing physically but our spirit within us should remain burning strongly. I guess the same could also be said about love! ;)