Wednesday, November 12, 2008

King's of Tennis 2008 cancelled!

(This photo was taken by The Star last Sunday)

It was only last Saturday that Ruby and I went on our ussual dating escapade and we ventured unto the grounds of the Esplanade.

We were so surprised to see the massive structure which WAS to be a tennis court for the King's of Tennis event. I did hear about it on Astro a couple of weeks back. As most people know, I ain't much of a TV guy even with my extra spare time these days. I totally forgot about it but Astro was my only source in coming to know of this events existance.

I did hear rumors on Facebook that the event was cancelled. To my disbelief the rumor came true as Ruby's uncle read the article in the latest Chinese newspaper. I even checked it online at it further reinforced the fact that the event was cancelled:

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/11/12/sports/2521235&sec=sports

This event is organized by local organizers led by Arianna Teoh and together with King's of Tennis based in Sweden. Arianna Teoh has had many successful events before; bringing in international artist to perform.

This one could be a major blow to her and her team. I trully feel sorry for them. Errors and slip-ups have the possibility of occuring, it cannot be denied. However, as the King's of Tennis is an international event, it just makes it worse for the reputation of these local organizers.

Why cancelled?

The Penang government has no part in promoting this event as it was not part of the arrangement agreed upon with the local organizers. They offered the venue and a reasonable rate to be leased for the event. For more information:

http://hcfoo.com/2008/11/local-organizer-confirmed-kings-of.html

As per The Star, the local organizers did not pay the management of King's of Tennis to come and play in Penang. For more information:

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/11/12/sports/2521235&sec=sports

It is trully sad that this magnificent event had to be cancelled. I bet lots of people might have been looking forward to it including some of my friends whom are now disappointed.

I am not in the position to comment on the fundamental reason and whose fault it was that the event was cancelled. All I can say is that maybe the organizers can learn something valuable from this. :)